- Good luck to our U14 Water Polo girls as they participate in the Dave Pitcairn tournament from Thursday 9 to Sunday 12 February at Reddam Tokai.
- Good luck and safe travels to the 1st and U16A Water Polo teams, as they travel to participate in the Alex Road tournament in Port Elizabeth.
- A reminder please to send through any Sports news or achievements to the Sports office so that we can acknowledge our Sports girls.
NEWS & RESULTS:
At the Inter-house gala held on Friday 3 February a huge amount of fun was had by all. There was also a very high standard of swimming and 4 records were broken.
- Daniella Salkow (Gr 10) broke her own U16 100m IM record (1:11.41) as well as the U16 50m freestyle record – previously set by Kristin Bellingan (2013) – in a new record time of 28:38.
- The third record broken was in the U16 4 x 50m freestyle relay, previously set by Marchand (2012), this year won by Bleby in a 2:06.50
- The final record was set in the Inter-Grade relay (8 x 25m) by our Grade 10 swimmers in a time of 1:53.44, previously set by the 2016 Grade 12s.
- Tie in 1st place: Hannah Hillman and Amy Worthington (14 points)
- 3rd place: Robyn von Zeil (10)
- 1st Daniella Solkow (19)
- 2nd Erin Hartzenberg (14)
- 3rd Hannah Faure (11)
- 1st Caylan Bromley (15)
- 2nd Rebecca Bromley (14)
- Tie in 3rd Adrienne Clynick and Saskia van der Merwe (8)
The winning house was BLEBY and MARCHAND won the Spirit trophy.
The highlight of the gala was undoubtedly when Mr Gates made an appearance in the Staff relay team, spearheading his team to a very close victory.
Well done to all swimmers, supporters and first-aiders. Also a warm thank you to the ground staff for setting up the pool area and ensuring that the facility looked immaculate.
Our last thanks go to Mrs Bromley, mother of our 2017 Swimming captain, Caylan, for handing out the certificates and trophies to all our winners.
Hannah Hillman (Gr 8) won 2 golds, 3 silvers and 2 bronze medals at the WP Jack Currie Championships held over this past weekend.
Hannah has also qualified to participate in the SA Nationals in the Level 2 & 3 Championships on 18 and 19 February in Port Elizabeth. We are extremely proud of you, Hannah!
Results of matches played 30 Jan – 3 February
- A Team lost 0-14 vs Herschel
- B Team BYE
- C Team won 12-2 vs Wynberg
- D Team lost 2-12 vs Jan van Riebeeck
- E Team won 10-4 vs Herzlia
- F Team won 14-0 vs Pinelands
Results of matches played against Pinelands on Thursday 2 February:
- RGHS U14A vs U14A won 6 – 1
- RGHS U16C vs U16A won 12 – 1
- RGHS U19B vs U19A lost 2 – 11
NON SCHOOL SPORT:
On Friday 3 February, Rustenburg had 3 girls who participated in the 3rd of a 6-series biathle event that is hosted on the Rustenburg campus.
Megan Phillipson and Rebecca Vosloo (Gr 9) competed in the U17 section where they are required to complete a 1200m run; 200m swim; 1200m run continuously. They finished in positions 1 and 2 respectively. Megan’s winning time was 15:02.28.
Caylan Bromley (Gr 12) placed 1st in the U19 race (1600m run; 200m swim; 1600m run) in a time of 16:20.30.
The performance of the week went to Rebecca who took nearly a minute off her previous best time! Well done, Becky!
Saskia van der Merwe (Gr 12) placed 3rd junior woman in the first in the series of the WP cross country races. This event was held at Slanghoek Mountain resort over the past weekend. Congratulations on this wonderful result.
Congratulations to Kayla Currie-Gamwo (A4) on her selection to represent Western Province at the South African Junior National Underwater Hockey Championships in Durban in March. We wish Kayla a successful tournament.
On Friday and Saturday (3-4 Febraury) Misbah Toefy (Grade 8) competed in the Schools Chess District Trials. She represented Rustenburg and won 4 out of 6 matches. Misbah finished 9th in U15 and was the first girls in her age group. She qualified for Western Province Trials.