- Change of season plans:
- Team Swimming; Social Swimming and Learn-to-swim will end on Thursday 9 March.
- The PGSGU Gala is on Thursday 9 March @ Springfield.
- Tennis practices will end on Thursday 9 March. PGSGU Tennis takes place on Sat 11 March @ Rustenburg.
- Water Polo practices will end on Thursday 23 March.
- Trial dates and sign-up lists are on the Sports notice boards
- A Cricket match (tbc) vs a Club side, Township 11 will take place on Saturday 11 March @ RGHS.
- On Wednesday 8 March, MAX mouthguards will be at RGHS from 15:00 to take impressions of girls wanting/needing a new gumguard for the Hockey season. Gumguards are compulsory if your daughter plays hockey for a RGHS team. Should you wish to secure an appointment then please email Ilzette directly on email@example.com to do so.
NEWS & RESULTS:
Congratulations to the following RGHS Hockey staff on their selection to coach and manage Provincial teams for the upcoming season:
- Andi Bernstein – Head Coach of the Western Province Senior Ladies Team
- Susan Viljoen – Head Coach for the Western Province Girls U16 South Team
- Waleed Jabaar – Head Coach for the Western Province Girls U14 South Team
- Kyla Thompson – Manager/Assistant Coach for the Western Province Girls U14 South Team.
Match report vs Fairmont Wednesday 1 March
2nd team: Lost 0-1
“What an amazing game to end the official season for this enthusiastic 2nd side! We held Fairmont until the last 10 seconds of the game! The team, with no reserves, played their hearts out and stayed focused on trying to maintain possession throughout the match! Special mention must be made of Kiara Skors (Gr 11) in goal, who played with such confidence and was excellent in her timing of stepping out to block the shots from Fairmont’s strikers “ – Coach Andi
1st team: Won 2-1
“A tight game that was never going to be easy. We scored a goal very early in the match, which was then disallowed. The team continued to press and Courtney managed a good field goal scored when the initial shot came off the goal keeper’s pads.
Fairmont equalised shortly after, but RGHS were more determined and Casey scored the winning goal with 2 minutes to play” – Coach Andi
Goal scorers: Casey Wheeler (Gr 12) and Courtney Wheeler (Gr 11)
Congratulations to Azrah Dick on being selected to the Seals Indoor Hockey team and to Josie Malherbe; Rachel Noyce and Robyn Ranier-Pope (Gr 8) for being selected to the Sharks Indoor Hockey team to participate at the PSI tournament during the upcoming holidays.
On Wednesday 1 March, Rustenburg attended the A-league Gala held at Rondebosch Boys. Due to the fact that the Newlands pool is empty after being repaired, we were very grateful that RBHS were happy to host this gala in 2017, albeit in a 25m pool and not the usual 50m length.
The noise levels from the cheering and the excitement of swimmers and supporters was deafening, but at the same time, wonderfully festive.
Rustenburg placed 3rd out of 9 schools, with Rhenish in 2nd place and Herschel winning the gala.
- Our U16s must be congratulated on placing 1st in the 4x50m freestyle relay.
- Our U14s placed 2nd in the 4x50m medley relay.
- In individual events: Sage Canter placed 2nd in the U14 50m breaststroke; Amy Worthington placed 2nd in the U14 50m freestyle and Daniella Solkow placed 2nd in the U16 50m freestyle.
Congratulations on a fantastic result and a wonderful team effort, ably led by captain, Caylan Bromley and vice-captain, Saskia van der Merwe.
Swimmers and supporters – smiles all around!
- Insaaf Lagardien (Gr 8) took part in the Bridgehouse Mile on 12 February 2017 and came 5th in the 200m event out of 62 participants. Congratulations on this wonderful result, Insaaf.
- This past weekend saw a number of our girls participate in the Grand Prix Championships held at Stellenbosch.
Daniella Solkow (Gr 10)
- 50 FREE – 27.44 (5TH) – This is a Senior Nationals qualifying time – Congratulations, Daniella.
- 100 FREE – 1.02.01 (14TH)
- 50 BREAST – 29.45 (26TH)
- 100 BREAST – 1.25.09 (26TH)
Erin Hartzenberg (Gr 10)
- 50 BACK – 33.54 (14TH)
- 100 BACK – 1.12.71 (19TH)
- 50 FREE – 29.31 (18TH)
- 100 FREE – 1.02.73 (20TH)
- 50 FLY – 31.04 (16TH)
Hannah Elvidge (Gr 9)
- 100 BACK – 1.11.68 (16TH)
- 200 BACK – 2.38.76 (15TH)
Results of matches played 20-24 February:
- RGHS A team beat Wynberg 8-6
- RGHS B team lost to St Cyprians 4-8
- RGHS C team beat St Cyprians 12-2
- RGHS D team beat Herzlia 14-0
- RGHS E team had a bye
- RGHS F team beat Herzlia 14-0
Congratulations to our 1st and 3rd Touch Rugby teams for winning their matches this past Friday.
Full results are in the table below:
Matches against Springfield were played mid-week as neither school has a venue of its own. The U14A and U19A teams played on Tuesday at the Westerford pool and the U19B and U16A teams on Thursday.
The results were as follows:
- U14 A lost 3-6
- U19A won 6-5
- U19B won 4-0
- U16A won 17-0
Congratulations to the following three Grade 12 girls who have been selected to represent Western Province at the 2017 Currie Cup Championships:
- U18A – Jessica Knapp
- U18B – Aaliyah Meredith and Tristan Jones
Congratulations also to Aaliyah and Tristan on completing their refereeing course.
NON SCHOOL SPORT:
On Friday 24 February, 4 Rustenburg girls participated in the 5th of a 6-series biathle that is hosted on the Rustenburg campus.
Megan Phillipson; Rebecca Vosloo (Gr 9) and Jade Lawson (Gr 10) all competed in the U17 section, where they are required to complete a 1200m run; 200m swim; 1200m run continuously. They finished in positions 1, 2 and 4 respectively. Megan’s improved her winning time by 20 seconds to complete the route in 15.03.00. Rebecca equalled her PB with a time of 16.24.43.
Caylan Bromley (Gr 12) competed in the U19 section, completing the 1600m run; 200m swim; 1600m run in 1st place. Caylan’s time was 15.41.29 which is her best time ever. Congratulations to all 4 of you on your excellent results.
The 6th and final biathle takes place on Friday 10 March from 5pm. Please pop in to the Sports Office for more details if you are interested in taking part.
Dani van Breda (Gr 9), Jenna Dugmore (Gr 9) and Tristan Jones (Gr 12) took part in the Western Province Senior Lifesaving Champs this past weekend at Milnerton. Despite tough conditions, the girls managed to achieve the following excellent results:
- Dani – 2nd place silver medal – beach flags and 3rd place bronze medal – beach sprints
- Tristan – 2nd place silver medal – Iron Lady (Surf Swim, Board and Ski); 3rd place bronze medal – Individual Surf Ski; 3rd place bronze medal – Individual Board and 1st place gold medal – Surf Ski Relay.
Congratulations to all of you on these excellent results.