- A-LEAGUE GALA – Wednesday 4 March @ RBHS. Limited tickets will be available from next week @ R20.00 (Cash or Snapscan) from the Sports Office (More details to follow)
- INDOOR HOCKEY – Change to calendar. Matches vs Durbanville on Wednesday 4 March have been moved to Tue 3 March (times stay the same).
- END DATES FOR TERM 1 SPORT:
- Water Polo – U19B end on 27 Feb; U16B end with match vs Springfield on 28 February.
- Water Polo – U14, U16A and U19A end with Knock-Out tournament on Wednesday 11 March.
- Social Tennis and Fast 5s end on 26 February.
- Cricket, Social Swimming and Learn-to-swim end on 5 March
- Soccer, Yoga, Self-defence, Run and Walk club end on 12 March.
Results of matches played at Herschel on Wednesday 12 February:
|12-Feb||RGHS 1st||Lost||0-2||Herschel 1|
|12-Feb||RGHS 2nd||Lost||0-5||Herschel 2|
|12-Feb||RGHS 3rd||Lost||0-4||Herschel 3|
Apologies to Ruth Jones (Grade 9) who was not recognised as the winner of the U16 Butterfly event at the Inter-House Gala. Well done on your first place.
Erin Daffarn (Grade 10) and Skye Micklethwaite (Grade 8) swam in the Cape Town Aquatics Championship gala at Strand pool this weekend.
- Erin’s results: 4 x PBs, 4 x Gold & 1 x Silver medals
- Jenna’s results: 2 x Gold and 1 x Silver medals
- Skye’s results: 2 x PBs, 1 x Gold, 3 x Silver medals
- Morgan’s results: 5 x PBs, 2 x Gold, 3 x Silver; 1 x Bronze medals
|Tennis matches played 10 – 14 February:|
|RGHS 1st Team||4 (33)||Lost||Herschel 2||10 (36)|
|RGHS 4th Team||4 (18)||Won||RGHS 5th Team||4 (14)|
|RGHS 6th Team||4 (22)||Lost||Reddam Atlantic||8 (45)|
|Points (Games won in brackets)|
Representing the WP U15A Tennis team, Lisa Penney (Grade 9) played in the Synergy A U15 cup last weekend. WP placed second overall. Lisa played very well and won 5 out of her 6 singles, 1 out of 3 doubles and 2 out of 3 mixed doubles matches. Congratulations on your excellent results, Lisa.
Results of League matches:
|RGHS 1||Voortrekker High School 3||11 – 3||Won|
|RGHS 2||Groote Schuur High School 1||3 – 1||Won|
|RGHS 3||Voortrekker High School 2||8 – 1||Won|
Results of matches played against Boland Schools on Friday 14 February:
|14-Feb||16h10||U16A||Bloemhof||13 – 1||Won|
|14-Feb||16h40||U16B||Rhenish||5 – 3||Won|
|14-Feb||17h10||U16A||Somerset College||7 – 1||Won|
U14 DAVE PITCAIRN WATER POLO TOURNAMENT
13-16 February 2020
Although this event was challenging, our U14 Team learnt new skills, resilience, tenacity, ‘never-give-up’ attitude; they also made many new friends and bonded as a team. All this experience will stand them in good stead as they head into their match against Springfield on Friday 28 February and then into the Knockout Tournament scheduled for Wednesday 11 March.
Results of their matches played at the Dave Pitcairn tournament hosted by Reddam are as follows:
|13-Feb||Herschel||0 – 15||Lost|
|14-Feb||Roedean||4 – 11||Lost|
|14-Feb||Reddam Prep||3 – 5||Lost|
|14-Feb||Rhenish GHS||5 – 7||Lost|
|15-Feb||Pearson||2 – 5||Lost|
|15-Feb||Wynberg GHS||6 – 2||Won|
|16-Feb||Reddam Prep||7 – 3||Won|
Deep Sea Angling
At the Western Province Deep Sea Angling Associations Prize Giving, held this past Saturday, 15 February 2020, Karla Rautmann (Grade 9) won the following awards:
- The ABC Trophy for the Best Performance by a Lady Angler in the Inshore West Division
- The Chris Swanepoel Memorial Trophy for the Best Performance by a Junior in the Inshore West Division
- The Senior ABC Trophy for the 3rd Best Performance Overall (Senior Men and Ladies, and Junior Divisions) in the Inshore West Division
- The Tackle Box Trophy for the Heaviest Fish Caught by a Junior Angler in the Inshore West Division
- The ABC Trophy for the Best Performance by a Lady Angler in the Inshore South Division
- The Kingfisher Trophy for the Best Performance by a Junior in the Inshore South Division
- Merit Certificates for being Team Captain of the U16 WPDSAA Team who won Bronze in the Junior Nationals in East London in 2019
- Merit Certificates for being a team member of the U16 WPDSAA Team who won Silver in the Kleinbaai Bottomfish Inter-Provincial in 2019
- ALL Africa, SADSAA and WPDSAA Junior Record – Certificate for a 11.09kg Yellowtail caught on 6kg line
Congratulations on these outstanding achievements, Karla.
Triathlon (Swim/ Cycle/ Run)
Three RGHS girls participated in the Blue Lagoon Triathlon at Club Mykonos, Langebaan on Saturday 15 February.
Sarah Irwin and Azrah Dick (Grade 11s) completed the Sprint distance (750m Ocean swim; 20km cycle; 5km run) and Allegra Smith (Grade 10) completed the Super sprint event (500m Ocean swim; 10km cycle; 2.5km run).
Allegra also participated in the 1.6km Ocean swim on Sunday 16 February.
Azrah placed 4th and Sarah 5th in the 16-17 age-category.
Allegra placed 1st in the 16-17 category and 6th overall female in the shorter event.
This is what Sarah had to say:
“It was an incredible experience and one I will not forget. The entire day was filled with nerves but most importantly excitement. Upon completion, the overwhelming feeling was of happiness and accomplishment. I loved every second of it despite the challenging ocean swim and windy cycle. The weeks of training paid off with me placing 5th in my age group for CTAA. I am incredibly thankful for being given this opportunity and look forward to the many more to come.”