- All Sports practices will take place as per the Term 2 Sports Schedule until exams start on Monday 21 May.
- Please look out for a revised EXAM Sports Time Table that will be followed from 21 May, when exams commence. (This schedule will be finalised by the end of this week).
- Procedure to follow if a Coach cancels due to inclement weather:
- Should Sports practices be cancelled due to inclement weather, the Coach concerned will WhatsApp the Parent of the Team’s Captain who will inform her daughter. The Captain must then send a WhatsApp to her Team members informing them of the decision made by the Coach.
Last week we congratulated girls selected to represent Wester Province. Apologies and congratulations to Nika Hofmeyr (Gr 10) who was omitted from the list. Nika will be representing the U16 Western Province B Team during the June/ July school holidays.
Opposition: REDDAM @ REDDAM, Constantia
The first team started the local season with a resounding win against Reddam 5-0.
RGHS dominated play from start to finish and never let Reddam settle into the game. We maintained possession and pushed forward to put the Reddam defense under pressure. This resulted in the awarding of penalty corners. RGHS had 3 penalty corners during the match (without reply), and scored from all three! (first time in RGHS hockey history!!)
Goals scorers: Gemma Watermeyer (2); Sharna Naidoo, Courtney Wheeler and Rebecca Bysche.
Player of the match: Gemma Watermeyer (Gr 10)
Matches for Fri 11 and Sat 12 May as follows:
All players to report at least 30 minutes before the start of their match to their coach at their playing venue.
There was a very large turnout of Rustenburg girls at the first league Cross Country race of the season, hosted by Rondebosch Boys. Unfortunately no finishing positions were given, nor times, so we have no results. However, every Rustybug that started her race, finished. Well done to all our runners.
Daniella Solkow (Gr 11) competed at the SA National Aquatic Championships in Port Elizabeth during the holidays.
Under the Youth category she achieved the following results:
- 50 free – Gold medal 27.20
- 100 free – Silver medal 1.00.15
Daniella qualified for the finals with her 50 free (top 8 overall) and competed in the Senior category against two Commonwealth Games swimmers. She ended in fifth place overall with a 27.12.
Daniella was chosen for two relays:
- 4 x 100 Free – placed 3rd BRONZE
- 4 x 50 Free – placed 2nd SILVER
Two other Rustenburg Girls qualified for and participated at these National Championships. Congratulations to Hannah Elvidge (Gr 10) and Erin Hartzenberg (Gr 11).
Friday 20 April @ Kelvin Grove
- RGHS U19A 7 – Herzlia U19C Boys 10
- RGHS U19B 0 – Springfield U19A 14
Friday 4 May @ Kelvin Grove
- RGHS U19A 10 – Pinelands U19C Boys 7
Congratulations to our 1st Squash Team!
Congratulations to Amber Wilson (Gr 11) who won 2 x Silver and 1 x Bronze medals at the South African Senior National Rowing Championships that took place on the Roodeplaat Dam in Pretoria from 28-29 April. Amber took part as a member of the Peninsula Girls’ Rowing Club (PGRC). Amber rows with girls from other local schools and must be congratulated on these fine achievements.